Black candy paint??????

dixiethedog

Ive a project bike in the pipeline,a turbo'd Yam FJ1200,which I had been thinking of painting straight gloss black,frame,wheels,forks,all bodywork,engine..... But,I spotted some black candy paint for sale somewhere online. Mmmm.....I thought,which brought me here.
Has anybody used it before with good results? Id really like the bike to look black,but then in the sunshine (if we ever get any here in the UK!)to maybe show a subtle colour (color,lol)change?
Any ideas??
I suppose a pearl over black could add a bit of contrast,but I like the idea of black candy,but Im not sure which way to go with base colours etc??
Thank you in advance.
Dixiethedog.

chopolds

In my experience, black candy is not going to give you much color. if you do it the way candy usually is done, i.e. candy over a silver or gold metallic base, you just get a dark gray metallic'y candy. The more coats you do, the darker it gets, but you lose the metallic base.
For a color change black, I use an interference pearl the color I want, over a straight black base. In shadow it is black, when the sun hits it at certain angles, it glows the the color. Some dark candies look almost black, and glow in the sun , but the color difference is not a great. I've done red over a black pearl base to get this effect. But the color in the shade doesn't always look true black.
But you have to use the right kind of pearl. In the day, we used to call it flip flop pearl. House of Kolor has lots of color choices. You need very little over black to get it looking good, too. You need more pearl over lighter colors. Do test panels before you paint it on your vehicle.

dixiethedog

Thanks Chopolds for the reply. i think you have made a good point with the idea of just using a pearl over the top of the black. Ive a long way to go before I pickup a spray gun for this project,but I do like to plan ahead with paint.
I'll maybe done some experimentation and report back.lol.
Thank you.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Chopolds. You can use a black with a pearl, or candy with a slight hint of pearl (i.e, candy tangerine with a slight hint of orange pearl in it).
You can spray these over a straight black.

If you check out "Harley Merlot", this is a color that is sprayed over black, BUT you have to apply quite a few coats to get it red with the flake in it.
If you just put on one or two light coats, you will end up with a black out of the sun, but a deep red color in the sun.

Another way I've done it is to spray black, add a coat of silver metallic over the black. Then spray the candy color of your choice over it.
This will also give you black of the sun, but a very dark candy color in the sun.
i.e black base with a coat of metallic over the black (a light coat to the point where you can hardly see the metallic). Then spray candy tangerine over it.
This combo will give you a black base out of the sun, but a dark candy bronze/root beer looking color in the sun.

If you do come across that black candy again, let us know. I'd be interested in checking it out. Never heard of it. Although it would be very easy to do or create, I really don't see any advantage of using candy black over a black base.

chopolds

Alsa has a black candy concentrate, they use it to make a fake black chrome look, with their fake chrome paint.
Seelig Custom Paint also carried a version of it, though I don't know if they are still in business, since Sid Moses, the founder, died.

anotheridiot

I got black candy powder from paint with pearl, it was ok, goes a long way and you need a gram scale to repeat. used HOK black candy for effect only, just got a jug of black candy in from the coating store I am gonna try to spray over blue flake to get a deep metallic blue. Its out there, the coating store has both intercoat carriers now, the candy and metal flake and it took a lot less coats on the deep blue metallic we put on a jeep dune buggy style.

dixiethedog

Thank you for replies,and sorry for the slow return from me. For some reason I havent been able to log in to the site since last week?
Taz,your comment interested me? I dont know if Ive missunderstood it,but would painting lets say a silver over the black,and then doing a candy over that,not just be the same as if you were doing a paint job with a silver base and then the candy colour? I dont understand that you'd see black thru silver and then candy??? It sounds good,but I dont seem to see how it would work??? Any more info please???
Thank you.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind, it's a black base. Then put one or two very light coats of metallic over the black
When doing this, it will still look black.
So in other words you will be doing a mix of about 95% base/clear (interclear) and 5% metallic. Then reduce this about 100%. So as you can see, this mix has very little metallic.

So basically then, you will be spraying the candy over this black base (with a hint of metallic).

So it would not be the same as spraying a candy over a pure silver metallic base.

anotheridiot

just adding enough metallic to black makes it gray to get a real metallic effect.

I cant take real good pics, I dont know how these will look, but

1504-123644.jpg1504-123855.jpg\

this is silver metalflake over black with clear. If you did a black candy over the flake at this low percentage of silver the silver flakes would just show darker, but still have metallic. Its all based on the effect you are looking for. This is the inside of a hardtop for a 90 jeep we are redoing, the effect we were looking for was the pitch black night out in the middle of nowhere with the bright stars. Yeah, it kills the lighting on the inside reflecting the dome lights, but the dome lights are all mounted low anyhow so there is not much reflection anyway.

sharpie

Thanks, Just got it all back together the guy loves it looks awesome...we got all the parts on he was so excited he got right on and went riding, didn't even get a chance to get a pix!

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any pics of the candy black on your Honda?
Like to see if we can see a difference. What did you use as the base and candy.
What brands