Candy over Black ??

pegasus71

Does anyone know what I would end up with if I shoot some Candy Tangerine over Black Diamond (HOK). I am painting my dune buggy and have some Tangerine left from my last job.
Thanks, Doug

nzgrip

Depends, if you put the Black Diamond over a Black basecoat it will look black it the shade and tangerine popping in the sun light. If you put it over a White basecoat you get a strong tangerine. I would think.

T

TAZ

You'd end up with more of a black color, but the sparkles will be in a candy tangerine.
To save some $. Try using a black base and mix some MF01 (super small flakes) with some SG100 and using this over the black. Then spray your candy tangerine over that.
You'll get about the same effect, plus it won't cost as much as the Black Diamond.
Another nice flake to use under the candy is the MetaJuls, but these are also pretty expensive.

pegasus71

Sorry, I should have said that I have the Black Diamond "Metajuls" already. I have a quart of Tangerine left over from another job. Just thought of using it with the black. Wasnt sure what it would come out like.

T

TAZ

Oops, I forgot that Black Diamond was part of the Metajuls line. I'm used to the Metajuls being in brighter silver and gold flakes.

Anyway, tangerine over the metajuls should look sharp. I do remember though, that when you spray the Black Diamond, you will get some 'black' flakes here and there. Not for sure why. Possibly that black tint that they put in there. But it's weird to see brighter candy tangerine sparkles, then you see some dark tangerine sparkles. Almost looks like candy over dirt.

clutch1

I shot HOK Tangerine over black on the winter beater as an experiment.. here's pics:

base coats:
DSC00508.jpg

.015" Metallic
DSC00506.jpg

Then shot 3qts of HOK candy tangerine over the whole car... maybe 5 coats total?
DSC00519-1.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524-1.jpg

DSC00521-1.jpg

Needs more clear.. but it's a beater, meh.

Anywho, I got a nice burnt orange out of it.. sometimes almost even a red-orange.. looks bright orange in the sunlight though... if you want that, then shoot over black.

The candy over tan/goldish and also over the yellow turned out very bright..

Hope the pics helped a bit!

T

TAZ

Not bad.
I'm sure you learned a great deal on how 'candy' works now.
As far as the metallic over the black, the more metallic your put on it, the brighter it gets. If you do a black base with just a dusting over the black...then candy it. It comes out black out of the sun, but a dark candy in the sun.

Looks like a nice Monte Carlo on the background...possibly a '73 or '74