I am just confused about metal flake

yousif almadani

dear all members...

first of all I am so glad to join you custom painting web site

1. the most important question is..how much we add metal powder flake to the ( 1 ltr. clear blender)??
2. what is the best spray gun to use?
3. how many coats we should apply??
4. how many clear coat over the metal flake??
5. what is correct base coat for red metal flake??
6. which paper grit we start to sand the ruff clear coat??

thank you very much for your co-operation

I tried myself painting the metal flake but I want to learn the perfect way

bondofreak

dear all members...

first of all I am so glad to join you custom painting web site

1. the most important question is..how much we add metal powder flake to the ( 1 ltr. clear blender)??
2. what is the best spray gun to use?
3. how many coats we should apply??
4. how many clear coat over the metal flake??
5. what is correct base coat for red metal flake??
6. which paper grit we start to sand the ruff clear coat??

thank you very much for your co-operation

I tried myself painting the metal flake but I want to learn the perfect way

1. Depends on your personal desire. Do a test panel first.
2. The most expensive one you can afford. I like SATA.
3. Usually 2-3 with possibly a drop coat.
4. Three
5. White is a popular sealer prior to red base.
6. 600 wet prior to any sealers or bases when shooting metallics.

PS-Follow the directions for your particular paint.

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Hello Yousif. Yes you certainly can use a spray gun to applyyour flake. But that is much like using a fire hose size nozzel. But there is an alternative such as using what is known as a flake buster. This way you are shooting dry flake on to wet clear and have more control over the application. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any further questions on this and I'll be glad to help.
Brian.

yousif almadani

1. Depends on your personal desire. Do a test panel first.
2. The most expensive one you can afford. I like SATA.
3. Usually 2-3 with possibly a drop coat.
4. Three
5. White is a popular sealer prior to red base.
6. 600 wet prior to any sealers or bases when shooting metallics.

PS-Follow the directions for your particular paint.

thank you very much for your quick reply

you have metioned sata... I already got sata rp 1.4 gravity gun..
do Ineed gravity or siphone gun... and what is the nozzle size
if i use the gravity gun the flake will set down??? and blocked the gun...
as I heard every one has a different way spraying flakes??

yousif almadani

Hello Yousif. Yes you certainly can use a spray gun to applyyour flake. But that is much like using a fire hose size nozzel. But there is an alternative such as using what is known as a flake buster. This way you are shooting dry flake on to wet clear and have more control over the application. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any further questions on this and I'll be glad to help.
Brian.

yes my dear I know the flake buster.. dry spray gun over wet cleat... thats the best way to control the flake
thank you thats the best way... will order the buster from coastairbrush-usa

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If I use smaller flakes, I just use my SATA or Iwata.
If I use medium sized flakes, I use my old siphon fed Devilbiss spray gun
I bought a flake buster about a month ago, but have not used it yet. I'll use this for the larger flakes.

If I remember right, they do no make the flake buster any more, so you need to get one soon.
I believe we were told that Old Skool Flakes went out of business.

As far as the base under red flakes, I like used a black base.
I would suggest using a black base, then spray silver flakes over it. Spray until it's covered. Clearcoat with quite a bit of coats. Resand the next day or two with 600 grit DA.
Get the surface flat. Then coat it with candy red. This will give you your candy red flakes.

yousif almadani

I bought a flake buster about a month ago, but have not used it yet. I'll use this for the larger flakes.

If I remember right, they do no make the flake buster any more, so you need to get one soon.

I would suggest using a black base, then spray silver flakes over it. Spray until it's covered. Clearcoat with quite a bit of coats. Resand the next day or two with 600 grit DA.
Get the surface flat. Then coat it with candy red. This will give you your candy red flakes.

yes taz... you are right... I used my iwata lph400 lv for spraying black base and smaller flake???
mr. taz I am for providing me with great recommendation for spraying flake???
I painted one bmw with black base and blue fake...2 years ago and the problem I dont have engough lighting
in my painting room....??? after we spary the clear coat and and sanded/polish the car..
I noticed one problem... I still can see some area of the black base ???.... which means...as you mentioned
that the black base should covered properly...

listen to this... the above car had an accident...and came back to me....loool because not every one here
can spray flakes lool.... and the problem... I forgot how many spoon of flake been mixed to the blender...
I also forgot how many flake coats been... sprayed??? so I painted the hood and pumper it becom darker
sanded next day and painted.......again....with proper flake covering... it become very nice...like you said
but the problem .. it become so light....loool:think1:...so I have re fix the flake again....I lost too much

next day.... I fixed new garage lighting...and spray the flake smaller gun... match it with old flake..
it become fine....and the problem been solved

thank you very much mr. taz... (our great admin) for yor help,, co-operation and recommendations

062.jpg

055-1.jpg

I am boats builder/boats custom painter...now switched to car custom painting...and bodykit modifiying
see the car pumper been modified by me...
DSC_2651-Copy.jpg

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You would think that flakes would be fairly easy to match, but as you found out, that if you have to repaint a panel, they aren't that easy.
Glad to hear you got it worked out though!

bondofreak

Good time to take notes like gun name, nozzle tip, gun pressure, distance, number of coats...etc....etc....huh?

LudicrousSpeed

One of my local body guys is a little anal about it, but he does multiple test panels and records everything on the back, the puts it in a file cabinet. That way if he gets return work, it saves a bunch of time trying to match the panels. Granted, it isn't a custom job, but the info would get a person close....

801Rider

Black base, with red flake:
jordan_lrb15.jpg

Silver flake, with red candy:
IMAG0143.jpg

yousif almadani

One of my local body guys is a little anal about it, but he does multiple test panels and records everything on the back, the puts it in a file cabinet. That way if he gets return work, it saves a bunch of time trying to match the panels. Granted, it isn't a custom job, but the info would get a person close....

thank you very much.. will do that next time...