Kandy flames over Kandy base

G

guest01

I will be painting my motorcycle next weekend, it is a 1998 ZX-9R. These are my plans and I was wanting to know if this sounds right. First I am going to sand the bike down and shoot a sealer on it because it is two different colors, a light gold and a dark grey. I am going to paint the base which is Kandy cobalt blue, then I am going to tape out the flames and mask off the bike, next I am going to paint the red outline color, before taping the outline I am going to shoot a coat of base clear over the red, then tape the outline, finally I am going to shoot the Kandy lime green color for the flames. Of course then remove the tape and shoot the clear. Do these steps sound right? Do I need to sand in between any steps, or just keep shooting until I reach the final sand point? Any help will be appreciated.

ezrider

i hope you are using kandy basecoats if you were to use real candies it might be too much build and you might have cracking problems down the road. if using candy basecoats you shouldn't have to sand in between in you stay with in the manufacters time frame. sounds like your heading in the right direction

G

guest01

They are actually true candies. The blue is a silver base with cobalt blue overlay and the green is a dark green base with a yellow overlay. I have not found a blue that is as deep as this blue I got. The paint is from house of color. What would you suggest? Should I leave the red outline step out? I got the color scheme from http://www.westcoastchoppers.com. Look under bikes at the Smooth Mama - Dragon. What would be a better way to achieve that look if any? Thanks.

michael

M

Mac_Muz

I am not a painter, but I went and looked at that bike. Then I read a book I have from house of color.

So this is my take of both the site pics, and the book.... I warn you I may be wrong...

I think you good up to the red pinstripe, but instead do the flames with your green, and after that do the red pinstrip over where the blue and green meet with no clear on the green blue meeting points. After the red strip has been taped and shot red and dry, then go with clear, and may be 2 to 3 coats so you can sand the clear with out hitting the green. This will smooth the ridge, and then one more coat of clear to clear the sanding and buff or not depending on if you need to..... I think it will make along weekend, but yer young right? Mac

ezrider

heres how i would do it. shoot your silver base,spray the cobolt blue candy(one of my favorite candies) top it off with a coat of clear. let dry over night sand your clear with 600 grit wet, being careful not to break through and get into your candy clean up sanded parts tape your flames, spray base for flames followed by that candy spray a light coat of clear to protect the flames from sand marks. pull off your tape knock down the fame edges with 600 wet again being yery carefulnot to damage your flames wipe clean bike parts and shoot 3-4 coats of clear let sit over nite. sand with 600 once againto get rid of all of your flame edges clean up your parts . now you can either tape your flame stripe or free hand them like i do, it takes alot of pratice to teach your self how to freehand but it is worth it in the long run. i perfer to use striping enamels but if your taping you should be able to shoot them then pull the tape then clear away. let sit over nite wet sand with 1500 followed up by 2000 making sure to get rid of any bumps in the paintthen buff it all to a glass like finish. sound like a lot of work, you bet but it should be worth it. good luck

G

guest01

How does this sound. Paint the base silver with the cobalt overlay, tape the flames and paint one or two coats of red, remove the tape and shoot one coat of clear. Let is sit atleast 24 hours, wet sand then tape the flames 1/8 of an inch in to cover the outline, paint one coat of base clear, then the Kandy green color, remove the tape and shoot a couple coats of clear. Sand the flame edges flat and then shoot a couple more coats of clear and let it sit another 24 hours before finish sanding. On the second day I will only be adding one extra coat of paint which will be the base clear. The only reason I am adding the base clear is because of the post on kandy flames where it was said that the bottom color would roll over on the edge when removing the tape. Think it can be pulled off?

ezrider

the problem with that is in order to get the urethane based flames to adhere to the urethane base colors it must be sanded, you shouldn't sand a candy coat directly thats why i said shoot a coat of clear over the candys to protect them you can shoot the clear directly on the candys when flashed becouse the clear is urethane based also
shocked.gif
short cuts really dont save time energy or fustration in the long run

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: ezrider ]

G

guest01

I get what you are saying. I was just trying to avoid the taping and re-taping. It would be so much easier if I painted the base the green, then painted the base silver for the flames, tape the edge then Kandy the rest of the flames. That would leave a green bike with cobalt flames that had a silver edge. Similar to this bike http://www.tapeworks.com/Pages/LezHoopZX12.html it just doesn't have to punch that the cobalt blue with green flames has. I will keep you posted when I start the job. I already have the two kandies and that is why I am determined to make it work.