Kandy Koncentrate vs. Kandy Base?

M

mikey

What's the difference between the concentrate vs. the kandy base. I assume that the Kandy base is premixed and could be used out of the can, the concentrate needs to be mixed with clear? Which is better to use. It seems like you'd get a more consistant color using the kandy base?

Thanks

D

DDG

You're right on all counts.
Use the candy base for larger projects.
The concentrates need to be mixed with a clear to make the candy.
I'd use the con. if I were doing airbrushed graphics or a candied graphic.
You can also mix con. into your candy coats for faster coverage.
Dirt

Jim

I want to paint my car in pieces,I was going to go a straight red,BC/CC.Now I'm thinking maybe a candy,my question is,will it match if I go candy and paint in pieces?I don't want the doors or fenders to look mis-match with differant shades.

D

DDG

When doing it in pieces simply remember how many coats and how much per coat you used.
One extra coat can change the color.
If you want a candy effect but easier to spray, go with HOK KBC's or Kandy Base Coats.
They are candy and metallic mixed and are extremely easy to use. Pick your base color and spray three coats and your done.
Now they will look different over different color bases. Take your red for instance. KBC-11 which is apple red, over black looks reddish brown,
over a red metallic looks very bright red.
Almost as if you put 5 coats of apple candy over a silver base.
Purchase a HOK book and it will have all the colors I'm talking about.
If you've never sprayed a candy before I would suggest the KBC's.
And as always spray a test panel to compare your parts to.

Dirt

D

DDG

Another advantage of the KBC's is they are very easy to fix if a mistake is made.
Dirt

M

mikey

Thanks for the advise, looks like the KBC may be the way to go.

Jim

Thanks for the info Dirt!I've never sprayed candy before but understand how it's applied,of couse I would reread and try some test panels first.I just hoped it wouldn't come out as differant shades.I did my bike with HOK products and was pretty happy with thier stuff.I'm not sure what color I'll decide on but thought I'd ask.The apple over red metallic sounds pretty cool.Thanks again!

D

DDG

When I did my first candy job (HOK) I was dreading
it because all I thought about is what could go wrong.
And when I sprayed it, WOW! it was easier than I thought. Just watch your overlap and flash between coats. Make them consistant.
I also sprayed a fender (DuPont) and sprayed it like anything else and it looks great. Customer was very pleased.
When spraying candies, you can tint the base color with the candy color to speed up coverage
and also hide some inconsistentcy with color.
Or streaking.
Dirt

G

Grashopr

Jim, I don't know if I can talk you out of it..but I'd recommend against painting anything a kandy color in peices....especially if edges are going to be bolted up close to one another. I've sprayed sportbike parts on a table right next to one another, but without the correct edges together, and you could DEFINITELY see the difference in colors. For sportbikes, I have to semi-bolt the entire bodywork together and hang it from the ceiling as one peice and shoot it all together to get the colors to come out right. If you want to see what I'm talking about, go to Hobby Lobby and buy a coupe of peices of small (4"X6") masonite panels (they come with one side pre-painted white) and try to paint them seperately with your kandy color..then, when it's dry, hold the two panels up together...

The 'hopper'

D

DDG

Grashopr, how then do you paint a frame and motorcycle parts without doing them in pieces?
Dirt

Jim

OK,Now I'm having second thoughts,This is my first car job,maybe I should stick to a straight color.I'll try some test panels and see how it goes.Thanks for the input guys!