Purple pearl over black

G

gunny1

I'm using HOK BC-25 black base coat and need to paint a pearl purple rally stripe on my bike. I tried DP45 purple haze and it turned out silver. The tech rep said try using DP32 or 39 but both of those aren't purple enough since I'm not looking for a ghost look. Should I be using a pearl paint like PBC??? On the HOK paint chips they show only one over black but I prefer the colors shown over the white base. Do I need to a white base, then purple pearl, then mask off the stripe and paint the balck. I'm confused, please help....

T

TAZ

Sounds like you need to use the HOK
Shimrin Colors. They offer a couple nice purple and violet colors. Be sure and use a lighter base (they suggest white) under these colors to brighten them up.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

G

gunny1

So what's the best way to paint this using a white base for the purple stripe but ending up with pearl purple stripes over black. Should I start with a white base, spray the pearl purple over the white, and then mask off where the stripe goes and than shoot the black base???

T

TAZ

You could spray the parts white (or a very light gray), then you can spray the purple pearl. Mask off the stripes, then you can spray the black.

Doing it this way, will also ensure clean edges on your stripes.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif