Tape time

Timber

Hi all. I've done a few custom projects before but this one is new to me. I'm painting my shovelhead tanks and I want to do a two tone black metallic top/bottom with a white pearl panel. I would like to separate the white from the black with a silver 1/16" pinstripe that contors around the white panel. Are there any problems with the following steps?
1. Spot in silver where stripe will be 1 coat.
2. Tape out line for pinstripe.
3. Spray in white base for panel 2 coats.
4. Spray in pearl over white base 2 to 3 coats.
5. Mask off white pearl panel. When making include silver (already taped pinstripe) area. In other words do not remove fine line tape but rather tape over it when masking white pearl.
6. Spray black over remaining areas of tank.
7. Remove all masking and tape.
8. Clear 2-3 coats.
9. Cut and buff as normal.

Does that sound about right or am I leaving that fine line tape on for too many coats? Just curious if it will hold up under.

Thanks all.

chopolds_2

Taping metallics and pearls are a tricky thing. The removal of the tape can also remove pearl and metallic particles. For a nice clean job, use an intercoat clear, even just one coat. to seal the pearl/metallic before taping. I would spray the silver, intercoat, then let dry. Light scuff, tape your stripe, and where the black will be, spray the white, then pearl, then intercoat. Let dry. Remove ALL tape, retape stripe and white, and shoot the black. When that dries, you can hit it with your final clear. If your taping skills are good, it should look great!

Timber

Taping metallics and pearls are a tricky thing. The removal of the tape can also remove pearl and metallic particles. For a nice clean job, use an intercoat clear, even just one coat. to seal the pearl/metallic before taping. I would spray the silver, intercoat, then let dry. Light scuff, tape your stripe, and where the black will be, spray the white, then pearl, then intercoat. Let dry. Remove ALL tape, retape stripe and white, and shoot the black. When that dries, you can hit it with your final clear. If your taping skills are good, it should look great!
Thanks for the info. I have some sg100 around so I'll hit it with that. Scuff with 600 maybe 800? Dry or wet? Thanks again

chopolds_2

If your intercoat is going on smooth, you can get away with one coat, use 800. If it's a bit rough, orange peel, put 2 coats on and use 600. Wet or dry doesn't matter much.