Using syringe not a good idea

Jeff Lonigro

There is a store near me that sells all sorts of oddball stuff. They had these huge syringes and I thought it would be a great idea for mixing small quantities of paint. Bad idea: turns out syringes have a coating of silicone inside to keep the plunger from binding. The fender I shot was a disaster with thousands of fisheyes. I did eventually remove all traces of silicone from my equipment. I now need to reshoot the fender. Sanding does not seem like a good idea. How do I fix this? Stripper (ugh)? I'm afraid if I sand it, I will just grind the silicone into the panel and not remove it. Even one fisheye would drive me nuts.

chopolds_2

Sanding all the contaminated paint off, and a good wash down, usually works. If not, try using a fish eye eliminator. While I usually don't use one, thy can help, if you are having a terrible time with your contaminated surface.

Jeff Lonigro

Sanding all the contaminated paint off, and a good wash down, usually works. If not, try using a fish eye eliminator. While I usually don't use one, thy can help, if you are having a terrible time with your contaminated surface.
I thought fisheye eliminators went in the paint, not the surface. I think I'll try sanding. I found a good solvent that claims to eliminate silicone and it seems to work. I have not had a problem with fisheyes since I tossed the syringes and cleaned my guns with this solvent.